The Psychological Help Hotline (Lifeline) is an extremely important social service. It is available anytime every day. No one is immune from a negative psychological situation or a stressful situation, during which there is no opportunity to receive outpatient psychological assistance. At such times the hotline is the only way to get help and support to overcome difficulties.
How to call Lifeline in NI?
Telephone: 0808 808 8000
Who may need emergency phone psychological help?
- People who are experiencing a very strong emotional experience of an intolerable nature, which requires the help of a specialist;
- People who have received psychological trauma;
- People who are experiencing severe stress and want to find ways out of this state;
- People who have suffered the loss of a loved one or faced grief and who due to circumstances do not understand how to live on;
- People who cannot understand themselves;
- People experiencing depression and who have thoughts of suicide;
- People who have come to the conclusion that they need professional psychological help but who for various reasons postpone visiting a specialist;
- Adolescents who have difficulties in relations with a partner, and they see their solution only in a fatal act.
How the NI Lifeline works
- Anonymity. The caller and the consultant may not give their real name and provide other personal information about themselves during the conversation. This also applies to the phone number from which the call came;
- Confidentiality. All information received during a conversation with a hotline consultant is not transferred or used in the future, and the data obtained during the conversation is depersonalized as much as possible;
- Tolerance. Whatever opinion, views and beliefs the caller has, he or she is not criticized or condemned. The consultant will try to understand the caller in any situation;
- Conversation management. The caller to the hotline number can end the conversation at any time or abruptly change the subject, without giving any reason.
Operator competence and response time
The Lifeline 24/7 answers the subscriber’s call as quickly as possible, the waiting time for communication with a consultant takes about a minute.
The Lifeline NI employs are professional psychologists who will help to cope with the problem, give advice on how to properly overcome life’s difficulties, or simply allow the caller to speak out.
Other ways to get emergency psychological help in the NI
The Samaritans – a 24-hour telephone helpline:
- telephone: 028 9066 4422 (local call charges apply);
- National telephone:116 123 (this number is free to call);
- textphone: 08457 90 91 92.
Childline – a counselling service for children and young people up to their 19th birthday:
- telephone: 0800 1111
Public Health Agency IN – a regional organization in Northern Ireland for health improvement and health protection.
- telephone: +44 300 555 0114